Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Barcelona Graff

This is Dub-Hei & New Chanel, 1999 by Shinro Ohtake. I don't know much about him, other than he's Japanese and has been around for a while. Look him up.

This is a video on graffiti in Barcelona. I know, I know, the link is from the Lonely Planet video stream, which in most cases would automatically qualify it as vapid nonsense. And, to add insult to injury, the shots are taken from a skateboard. But, whoever did it was smart to mesh the graffiti with skateboarding, not just for the similarities in street culture, but for the shots that can only been seen from a board.

A few years back, when I was roaming the streets of Barca, I took pictures of many of the same mural-covered walls. The public art and graffiti there is the best I've seen. I didn't feel the need to enter any of the city's numerous museums because I saw all I could digest walking the streets.

No comments: